Traditional Science, Reimagined for the Modern World
Assured Science Exchange is a non-profit organization designed to serve as a satellite to the traditional scientific research system.
- Democratize the scientific research enterprise as much as possible.
- Mitigate funding, mechanism, and data problems that undermine the success and efficiency of scientific research in the traditional system.
- Enable researchers to generate vastly superior data in a very efficient manner.
- Empower researchers to self-sustain their careers for as long as they want, on their own terms.
Assured Science's research system will address a series of problems that exist in the traditional research system, including:
- Only 10-20% grants funded; at least another 40-50% more are fundable
- Only ~ 30% renewal rate for funded grants
- About 40% of funded scientists experience 1 to 8 year funding gaps
- Highly inefficient: data, projects, money, time, and talent are wasted
- Emphasis on elimination and policing rather than on facilitation and guidance
- Easily “gamed”
- Very idiosyncratic; majority not validated or integrated
- Increasing false leads, incomplete sets, and retractions
- Highly dispersed, incoherent, and unwieldy
These issues are not new, and we are not the first to address them. Some of the limitations of previous attempts or proposals include:
- Unrealistic financial requirements (many suggesting a 200-300% increase)
- Dependence on the sacrifice and idealistic behavior of those who already flourish within the system
- Expectation for change without incentive or penalty
- Only a marginal impact on the overall value of research data
- Not addressing many other systemic problems undermining the scientific research enterprise
The scientific community is in desperate need of a research system that works better. We have the blueprints for a system that:
- Combines principles of scientific inquiry, engineering, computer science, economics, business, biology, and journalism to create a vibrant and robust system for research.
- Operates as a satellite system to facilitate bench scientists and small laboratories self-sustaining their research projects, whether they are basic, applied, or even amusing.
- Works within today’s funding constraints, and yet provides vast potential for growth and support to both science and scientists.
- Uses natural motivations and modern solutions to solve the funding, mechanism, and data problems that are undermining scientific research.
- Helps institutions to maximize both the number of their scientists conducting research and recovery of the expense for providing research facilities and infrastructure.
- Provides robust, validated, and integrated data that are archived in a well organized manner for efficient utilization.
- Accelerates scientific progress, creates new science-based careers, and maximizes the benefits from science to society.